Customs, check. Swine flu screening, check. Baggage claim, check. Meet uncle, check. I am safe and sound.
So far, my observations are few. Besides a Korean BBQ dinner last night, I have spent my first day in my uncle's apartment watching baseball, hockey and bad Korean Saturday morning talk shows. I have no idea where I am right now and not much desire to be a tourist and wander around and take pictures of everything. I will have plenty of time to do that later. Right now, I just want a couple laid back days before i have to start taking notes and do homework again.
As expressed in my first post, I hoped that what Korean I knew would come back to me. I have realized that my Korean is not as bad as I thought but not that good either. I have had a few moments where i did not know what someone was saying but fortunately I have had someone who speaks a little English around to bail me out. These moments have motivated me to do my absolute best once summer school begins.
I will be visiting my grandfather in just a few hours. For those of you who do not know already, I have not seen my grandfather since he suffered a stroke two years ago. Seeing him will be hard for me because he cannot speak much plus he is the most traditional out of all my relatives so I have to remember all the customary things to do and not to do in his presence. My grandfather has been a source of inspiration in my career goals since he was a teacher and principal. I even own the leather bag he used in his first year as a principal. Seeing such a strong and successful family member reduced to a hospital bed will not be easy. Even so, I know I will be able to show a smile and enjoy his company.
I better clean up and look presentable, write again soon.
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so happy to hear you're safe! ...So what kind of traditional things did you have to do?!?!?!
ReplyDelete-KC
swine flu?? hope you were negative.
ReplyDeletegood to hear you are safe and sound. your cultural transition should happen within no time and i'm sure the work you got done before you left has helped you appear presentable :)
Joshua! So glad to hear your safe & on your way to getting settled. I am so grateful I got to see you before you left :) Looking forward to reading more posts. xo, S
ReplyDelete